Friday, February 20, 2009

Newspaper in one hand...


I have not always been an avid reader. There have been times is my life that the last thing I wanted to do was pick up a book and read. On the flipside there have also been times when I wouldn’t be seen without a book in my hand. I have written a couple of times about listening to books on CD in the car or Becca reading to me as we drove over the Christmas holidays. Recently, Becca purchased subscriptions for me to both Time and Sports Illustrated. I am enjoying both of them very much. Of course, I will enjoy SI much more when College Football rolls around.
There is a saying that goes around ministerial circles that is attributed to Karl Barth (pronounced Bart), “preachers should approach the world with the Bible in one hand and a newspaper in the other.” What does that mean to you? This year we have been looking at the problems around the globe (newspaper) and determining what to do in light of them by looking at what the Bible says. My current “newspaper” is Time magazine. What’s yours? How are you staying connected with the world? In light of the scriptures what are you doing to make an impact on this world?

No comments: