Monday, May 6, 2013

Haiti- Day 1 Travel Day

     It still amazes me how forgetful I can be.  Even after as many trips as I take I still forget to pack the important things...ear plugs! Seriously, ear plugs, TP (not needed, thankfully), water bottle... so far that is all I realize I forgot, but I haven't left the ATL airport yet!  I must admit that put me a little on edge as far as leaving the country.  I trust, however, as God continues to work it all out.
     Both flights went perfectly well with no issues or delays.  We met the MO group in Atlanta, but had little time for in-depth introductions as we all seemed anxious and focused to get where we were going.  Upon arrival in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti I was ready for "game on" at the airport.  Pleasantly, it was the best airport experience I have had in a developing nation.  Jeff mentioned the airport had been completely rebuilt after the earthquake.  Getting through Immigration and Customs was a breeze.  There were a lot of "helpers" at baggage claim, but we were lovingly forceful that we didn't need assistance.  Once we got outside we met our guides for the week from Conscience International, Diddy and Junior.  They loaded our luggage on top and we all piled in a bus much like the one we have at church, with a few modifications.  The seats had been reconfigured to be all around the edge (see picture) including the back door, which has been disengaged.  I took my place in the rumble seat over the spare tire that I hope we are not forced to use.
reconfigured bus for transport to and from airport
     For the next 2.5 hours we made our way 30 miles from Port-Au-Prince to Grand Goave through congested mostly paved roads, horns blaring anytime you pass or get passed, smoke and/or exhaust coming in through the window, and all kinds of smells filling our nostrils.  I always enjoy a drive through the area as it gives a sense of "normal life."  We saw many USAID and Samaritan's Purse tarps covering small businesses and ramshackle houses all along the route.  There were a few tent villages as well.
     I was surprised by how mountainous Haiti's landscape is.  I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't mountains.  Port-Au-Prince seems to be in a bowl.  Grand Goave is on the northern coast of the southern peninsula of Haiti.  The river beds are dry this time of year.  It's never fair to compare locations, but I was struck by the starkness of the landscape.  I'm looking forward to a great week of work and relationship building.
landscape around PAP from the air


mountains around Grand Goave

No comments: